Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Teacher who made a Big Difference

Today is Vijaya Dashami, a day that is dedicated for offering prayers and seeking blessings of Saraswathi, the Goddess of Knowledge.  In my place, it is considered auspicious to start the process of any new learning on this day.  I take this opportunity to fondly remember one of my teachers, who made a big difference in my life - Bhaskaran Master of Government High School, Panayappilly.

In 1983, when I was a student of sixth standard, Bhaskaran Sir taught Mathematics and Malayalam.  He was a tough teacher, who never compromised on issues relating to studies and discipline.  Since he used to severely punish erring students, we were all afraid of him.  But he was a great teacher who used to make the process of learning highly interactive and enjoyable.  While he would make us solve many interesting puzzles in Mathematics, he would lead us deep into a story or poetry during his Malayalam classes.  I must say, we used to wait for his classes and miss him whenever he was on leave.

One day he took me to the staff room and told me that an organisation was conducting a district level competition in public speaking for the upper primary school children and he had selected me to participate in the same.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Though I used to be one among the top students and had participated in some school events in the past, I had never represented my school in a competition outside.  At the same time, there was a student in the seventh standard who used to represent the school in such events.  I managed to gather the courage to ask Sir why he was not sending that senior student.  Then he told me that he wanted to give a chance to me and he was confident that I would do well in the competition.  Next day Bhaskaran Sir handed over a three page speech to me and asked me to learn and practice it.  (I vividly remember Sir's hand-writing even today).  Within a week, I was supposed to give a mock speech in front of him and few other teachers, which I did reasonably well.   Bhaskaran Sir gave me lot of suggestions for improvement and encouraged me by patting my shoulder.  But I was still tensed.

Within a few days the news came that the competition was cancelled for some reason.  When Bhaskaran Sir told me this, I could see the disappointment on his face.  Though I was also unhappy, I probably felt a great sense of relief.  What Sir did after that was more touching.  We used to have cultural programmes at the end of every month.  During the next such programme, he kept my speech as the main item.  The interest that I developed towards public speaking at the tender age of 11, grew over the years and helped me win prizes in various competitions, including the state-level college youth festival.

What is more important is that the interest in public speaking took a serious turn and led me to become passionate about teaching.  Today, whatever little I have achieved, it all started with Bhaskaran Sir.  Even today I am puzzled as to how and why he could identify the hidden talent in me!  Though many other teachers have greatly influenced me, Bhaskaran Sir enjoys a special place in my heart.  I am sure each one of us has a teacher like this.  On this days of Vijaya Dashami, I offer my greetings and gratitude to Bhaskaran Sir, who initiated me to the world of teaching.



   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment