Thursday, May 12, 2022

Lifelong Student

In 1997, when I was invited by Dr. Gopalakrishnan (Director, B K School of Management, Gujarat University) to teach Finance at their evening MBA Programme, I was more than happy to accept the invitation.  On the first day Dr. Gopalakrishnan introduced me to the class.  I was surprised to see that I was the youngest in that group.  All my students were elder to me and were working in various organisations.  A neurosurgeon, a stockbroker, an executive at Cipla, sales manager of Times of India, project manager at Nirma – they were all my students!  

At first, I was a bit apprehensive, because I was not sure if I would rise to their expectations.  But what followed was a wonderful experience, both for me as well as for them.  While I used to prepare well for each session and explain the basic concepts in Finance, they used to complement my lectures by sharing their real-life experiences.  So, it was a two-way learning for us – they learnt theory of Finance from me, and I learnt practical issues in managing Finance from them.  At the end, they all cleared the course with flying colours, and I received very good feedback.  I was really surprised by the interest and enthusiasm they showed in learning.

Learning is a continuous process.  Dr. M N Channabasappa, my Director at SIT urges the faculty members to keep aside at least one hour daily for learning something new.  With new knowledge being created at the speed of light, one who refuses to learn, becomes obsolete and outdated within no time.  Let me share two recent incidents – Smt. Usha Chadaga, wife of my friend and ex-colleague, Prof. Ramakrishna Chadaga, learnt Sanskrit at an advanced age and went on to receive Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Sanskrit from Mangalore University at the age of 75.   

Smt. Bhageerathi Amma (105) and Smt. Karthyayani Amma (98), two grannies from Kerala were awarded Nari Shakti Puraskar by the President of India in 2020 for successfully completing the examination conducted by the literacy mission.  Later in an interaction session with the Prime Minister, Karthyayani Amma said, she would like to appear for the tenth standard examination and pass the same!  What an ambition!  I am sure, it was never easy for them – but their hard work, dedication and perseverance made it possible.  If these three ladies could achieve this at 75, 98 and 105; we are all far better placed than them to continue the pursuit of knowledge.

Learning has no age – anyone can learn anything from anyone anytime – all that is needed is the burning desire to learn and the right attitude.  Let me also reveal a secret, ‘those who keep learning, always remain Young!’



No comments:

Post a Comment