Monday, January 10, 2022

College Garden – Flowering ‘Answers’!

Imagine a college garden. What all can you do there?  Probably, the first thought that came to your mind is romance.  You can also chit-chat with friends; while away time after bunking classes; or observe the plants and their features, especially if you are a student of botany.  But can you imagine writing an examination sitting in the garden?  That is what I did in 1992!

I was a ‘privately registered’ student for B.Com.  Privately registered students do not get admitted to a regular college affiliated to the university.  Instead, they study in private colleges, which do not have any connection with the university.  Such colleges are popularly known as ‘Parallel Colleges’ in Kerala.  When the year-end examinations come, the university allots a regular college as exam centre to all private candidates.  I was allotted a famous college in the heart of the city as exam centre.  That day we had Hindi exam.  The exam was in the afternoon from 2 to 5.  When I reached the college at around 1.30, I was asked to proceed to a classroom on the first floor of the building.  When I reached the classroom, I was surprised and shocked to see that around 100 students had gathered in a classroom, which could hardly accommodate 60.  More students were coming in.  The university had allotted a greater number of students than what the college could accommodate.  Probably, the college didn’t have any idea about this.  There was utter chaos. 

The college authorities managed to get additional copies of the question papers.  They asked the students to sit wherever they could!  Some sat on the corridor, some on the staircase and some moved to the garden!  I was thoroughly disappointed and angry at the treatment meted out to the private candidates.  I thought, this must somehow come to the limelight.  I was almost sure that the examination will be cancelled.  So, I submitted the paper and came out of the college within 30 minutes.  I went straight to the press club, which was close to the college.  I narrated the incident to the first person whom I met there.  Initially, he was not convinced, but when I showed him my admit card, he seemed to believe.  He said ‘okay’ and went inside.  I was not sure, if he would do something.  So, I went to a nearby public call office, took the telephone directory, made phone calls to the offices of few popular newspapers such as Malayala Manorama, Mathrubhumi, Indian Express etc. and narrated the incident.  I enjoyed a cup of coffee from a nearby coffee shop and went back to the college.  After a while, when I reached the college, I saw many press reporters there.  I had done my bit!  (Had this happened today, the pictures and videos would fly to all parts of the world instantly). 

I waited eagerly for the next day’s newspaper.  Yes, the story was published on the front page with photographs.  The university and the college blamed each other for the fiasco.  The exam was cancelled and rescheduled.  Next day I narrated this to one of my friends.  He was furious, ‘so, you are the one who spoilt my fortune?’. ‘What did I do?’, I asked.  He said, ‘amidst all that chaos, I had nicely copied all the answers from the textbook.  Now, I have to study all over again’!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment