Sunday, July 25, 2021

Ripe Guavas !

There is a guava tree in the backyard of my house.  Most of its branches lean over the compound wall towards the road, making it convenient for the passers by to pluck the fruits.  Interestingly, most of the fruits appear on these branches! 

Yesterday morning I saw a middle-aged guy plucking guavas from the tree using a long stick.  Though I could see him, he was not able to see me as I was standing inside the compound.  He plucked one fruit, I kept quiet.  He plucked one more, I didn’t say anything.  But when he plucked the third one and was in no mood to leave, I went out and told him, ‘Please leave few for us’.  He continued searching for more fruits, as if he didn’t hear me.  I continued, ‘I planted the tree, watered and nurtured it and when it started giving fruits, you appear from nowhere to pluck the fruits, is it right?’.  He said, ‘all guavas are ripe, and you are not taking, so I am taking’.  I told him, ‘that is none of your concern’.  Reluctantly he started walking away.  I heard him murmur, ‘neither do they eat, nor allow others to eat’!!  Anyway, I returned home feeling victorious, as if I had won a debate through logical reasoning!

Half an hour later, a group of monkeys attacked the guava tree.  They ate almost all ripe, big guavas.  I could only stand there staring at them helplessly.  Who would argue with them, and what logic would they understand!  I remembered what I read during my schooldays, ‘Birds and animals do not own even a small piece of land; they own the entire Earth’!


(I am sure, those who have read the famous Malayalam story 'Bhoomiyude Avakashikal' by Vaikom Mohammed Basheer, can easily relate to this!)




2 comments:

  1. Eternal Truth..Simplified.
    Even though we evolved from Monkeys, we have a lot of things to learn. Thanks for sharing sir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir. You argue enough with the monkeys in your class. Good that you chose not to engage with the real monkeys. Perhaps Lord Anjaneya blessed you this way.

    ReplyDelete