Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Station Manager


It has been a long time since I posted on my blog. Many of my friends and readers asked me why I was not writing. Though blogging is one of my hobbies, of late, my professional responsibilities are demanding more time than earlier. However, today I found some time to scribble down this post - which is unique and interesting. I am writing this sitting inside a train!!

I am travelling alone from Kochuveli, near Thiruvananthapuram to Kochi by train. I boarded the train at 6 pm and I am expecting to reach Kochi by 10 pm - completely free and relaxed for four hours.But, before boarding the train, I had a Bollywood movie style adventure. I came to the railway station by my uncle's car. About 2 kilometers before the station we saw a long queue of vehicles stuck in a traffic jam. I have been travelling from Kochuveli for more than a decade and never in the past have I encountered a traffic jam like this. Kochuveli station is very close to the Lulu Mall of Thiruvananthapuram. And today's jam was caused by people thronging the mall for Onam shopping - a 'mallinduced' jam !!

With great difficulty my uncle managed to escape the Lulu mall junction and turn the car towards the small road leading to the railway station. It was 5.50 pm and we were thinking we would reach on time. But, after driving for half a kilometer, we were shocked to see another long queue of vehicles. We were almost near the station, yet not there. It was 5.55, I quickly got down from the car, picked my bag and ran towards the station. While running I was praying that the train was from the first platform, so that I don't have to climb the foot overbridge. When I reached close to the station, I saw the train on the first platform. It was a great relief. I got into the train at exactly 6.00 pm. And as soon as I got in - no, the whistle didn't blow and the train didn't move... It pulled out of the platform at 6.15 pm..

As the train started moving, I bought a cup of steaming hot coffee. I was wondering how to use the four hours at my disposal. I am sure the coffee kindled a spark of creativity - I started writing this blog. It is not easy to write in a running train, but I am enjoying it.

When I travel during the day, I keep looking out through the window - the greenery of Kerala is something that I can't see anywhere else. The all pervading greenery doesn't leave even a small space empty. Through the years of my journeys across Kerala, though I have noticed large constructions on both sides of the rail, the greenery has still remained noticeable. Added to the greenery is the beauty of lakes, rivers and small streams that make the view pleasant. Today I am deprived of this beauty as I am travelling after sunset.

The train stopped at Kollam - let me get something for dinner. Kollam is my mother's place - she was born and brought up there. During my school day I used to spend my summer vacation at her house. Today my uncle and family live there. Sometimes, I yearn to escape from my busy life and go back to those joyful days of an innocent boy.

I am back on the train with a pack of Chappathi and curry.  After eating Chappathi, I started gazing through the window. The train is moving very fast, passing through some small stations, which disappear quickly from our view. I can see lights in small houses on the sides of the track. Some lights are seen far away - perhaps in the middle of paddy fields. 

The filled stomach and cool breeze made me doze off for a while. A sudden jerk and I got up. The train was still running fast.

I started thinking about the people travelling by train - people speaking different languages, coming from different places, headed to different destinations, for different purposes, some happy, some sad, some anxious and some others irritated! Still they are all moving together - in the same direction, with the same speed, and on the same track. Whether moving fast or slow, they all must be on track!

A station manager standing in an intermittent station showing green signal caught my attention.  Suddenly I drew parallel with my life. I (a teacher) am like that station manager. Every year a new train carrying 120 passengers (students) arrives at my station (college). They are all from different backgrounds, planning to lead different lives, yet destined to come together on a train (MBA programme) for a journey of two years. My job is to show them the green signal (right direction) and make sure that they stay on track (focus). When a train moves out of the station, I wait for the next one to arrive.

Alfred Tennyson's poetry, the brook, rang in my mind...  'Men (students) may come and men may go, but I (the teacher) go on forever...'

The train left Kottayam, I will get down at Ernakulam, the next station. Thanks for being my co-passengers in this beautiful journey..!




7 comments:

  1. Ajoy Sir, I really like the way you have written it, felt like I am travelling with you as a co-passenger!! While reading this write up , I felt relaxed as it is required to read these type of tweets in today’s busy schedule. Keep posting Sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prakash N (Your student 2001-03 MBA batch)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to travel in train a lot during MBA time from Tumkur to Dharwad (intercity was our famous catch). We used to request for early closure of last class. Eventually many professors understood and made it rule that on long weekend and festival season- Dharwad gang wants to catch early train/intercity so that the last hour/class will run short or to be dropped.

    We miss that journey in train while travelling in flights now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Train journeys in India is an experience in itself. I had travelled along the same route (almost - from Thrissur to chengannur) early this year. It was a trip down the memory lane as well... I took noticed the changes outside. Yet the greenery that appeared in between was so refreshing.

    I like the way you described your self as station master. It is true that teachers like you are the green signals in students' lives.

    Happy to see that you are back to blogging, Sir. I had missed quite a few of your previous posts. I am glad that you shared this post with us. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sir This is Sushma M, as I am also in the same field feeling the same experience, nice wording sir...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The journey is indeed worth it

    ReplyDelete